Winter Squash Pie with Hints of Lavender
Warm your house and heart with this main course vegetable pie. Use butternut squash or any hard squash or sweet potatoes. In this recipe will incorporate hints of lavender.
Author: Paola and Lida
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 TBL Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow chopped onion
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 lbs. of Winter Squash - peeled seeded and cut into 1" cubes(about 8 cups) or Sweet Potato
- 4 cups of shredded kale, chard or collards
- 1 Tbl of Herbes de Provence(make sure your recipe includes, sage, basil, oregano, fennel and lavender
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ⅛ to 1 teaspoon lavender chili*
- 2 8-ounce puff pastry rounds or 2 14 ounce puff pastry triangles(defrost keep refrigerated until ready to roll out.
- 1 cup of your favorite mild cheese such as feta, chevre, provolone cut into ¼" cubes
- 3 Tbl grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- * lavender Chili - Toast 2 Tbl Cumin seeds, 1 Tbl Coriander, then combine ¼ cup of your favorite dried chili (I like medium heat paprika or ancho chilis) and 1 Tbl culinary lavender, such as Miss. Katherine, Melissa or Folgate in a spice grinder.
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium high heat until softened and lightly brown.
- Transfer onions to large bowl, add squash, kale, herbes de Provence, chili and toss until well coated. Heat oven to 350 F. Roll our puff pastry rounds to 12: inches in diameter. Line a 10;inch pie pan or shallow round baking dish with one 12" round pastry. Add squash filling, piing it high. Sprinkle with both types cheese, Lay remaining puff pastry round over filling and crimp edges to seal. Paint the top of the pie with beaten egg.
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to oven, and bake one hour, until pastry is browned and squash is soften when probed with a knife. If pastry s browning to quickly tent with foil. Allow to rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with a fresh crunchy green salad or creamy mashed potatoes.