Anna's Lavender Cherry Pie
Sweet cherry pie with a delicate buttery crust and a hint of lavender. If you have the great fortune to pick cherries fresh from the tree, this simple pie becomes exceptional. Anna made this wonderful pie from our cherries. What a treat!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 cups of fresh pitted sweet cherries or 3 cups cooked
- ¾ c. Sugar
- 3½ Tb. Corn Starch
- ½ teas. to 1 teas. culinary lavender buds like 'Folgate'
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 12 Tb. Cold Butter cut into cubes.
- 3-5 Tb. Cold water
- In food processor, pulse together the flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture forms small pieces. Slowly add 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until dough comes together. It should be moist but not wet.
- Roll out 1 dough disk into an 11-inch circle and press it into a 9-inch pie dish. Place in the refrigerator until needed. Roll out remaining dough disk into an 11-inch circle for the top crust, transfer it to a plate or baking sheet, and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a baking tray in the oven to preheat.
- CHERRY FILLING: Place pitted cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium, saucepan. Allow mixture to stand until juices begin to release, about 10 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until juices thicken and become translucent, about 1 minute. Allow filling to cool to lukewarm temperature.
- Pour cooled filling into prepared pie crust. Cover with top crust, trim and crimp the edges to seal, and cut vents for steam. Or Use lattice top and weave strips of dough on top of pie.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the preheated baking tray until crust is golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Turn off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle lavender buds on top of crust. Allow to cool before slicing.