Watermelon, Cherry Tomato and Basil Salad
This is the time of year you can be inundated with basil in your garden. Summer is the season of lots of delicious fruit. Basil is a wonderful compliment! Basil pairs well with fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, lime, lemon, mango and strawberries. For me, fresh basil is the taste of summer! Here is a very elegant and simple treat.
Author: Paola Legarre
Serves: 6-8 servings
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar or honey
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) watermelon, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 32 small basil leaves, sliced thin - chiffonade - remove and discard the stems, then stack more or less 5 leaves on top of each other on a cutting board. Firmly roll the leaves into a cylinder and grasp it securely with one hand. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the rolled leaves crosswise at ⅛-inch intervals).
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Drizzle salad with balsamic syrup and the olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve.
- Optional: make mini appetizer skewers. 16 (6-inch) skewers; alternate watermelon and cherry tomato with basil leaves.