Lavender & Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
Author: Sarah Badar, The Lavender Lovers Handbook
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed fresh lemon verbena leaves or zest of two lemons
- ¼ cup fresh lavender or ⅛ cup of dried lavender buds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- sprigs of fresh lavender and lemon verbena leaf for garnish
- In A MEDIUM SAUCEPAN, COMBINE SUGAR, LEMON VERBENA LEAVES, LAVENDER, MILK, AND CREAM. Bring to a boil and steep for 20 minutes covered. Strain mixture through cheesecloth or fine-screened colander to remove buds and leaves. In another bowl whisk eggs.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Slowly whisk this new mixture into the remaining cream mixture in the saucepan. Stir constantly over low heat until mixture is think enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Immediately remove from heat and cool in a an ice water bath or refrigerator until completely cool. Add mixture to an electric ice cream maker. Process according to the manufacturers' directions.