Orecchiette with Butternut Squash and Sage
- Coarse salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small butternut squash, halved and peeled, seeds and pulp scooped and reserved, flesh cut into ½-inch pieces (4 cups) Butternut Squash
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup packed fresh sage leaves
- 1⅓ cups whole-milk ricotta, for serving
- Poppy seeds, for serving
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add squash seeds and pulp. Cook, stirring occasionally, until seeds puff and turn golden, 10 minutes. Season with salt; transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; melt. Add sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 2 minutes. Transfer to another plate. Add squash flesh to skillet. Season with salt, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, ½ cup pasta water, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Add more pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time, until pasta is evenly coated; season with salt. Top with squash pulp and seeds, sage leaves, ricotta, and poppy seeds. Drizzle with oil and serve.