Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries and Chocolate Chips
These warm, chewy oatmeal cookies are perfectly cozy for the holiday season.
Author: Inspired by Emily Luchetti
Serves: 3 dozen
- 2 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar (optional use lavender sugar - link to lavender Sugar recipe)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup dried sweet cherries chopped
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Put 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Preheat to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Add the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well blended. Add the milk, dried cherries, and chocolate chips. Stir until well blended.
- Place slightly rounded, 1-tablespoon mounds of dough on the parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space between each mound. (If you have a small ice cream scoop, you can use it to form the mounds and place the dough on the sheets.) Flatten the mounds slightly with your hands or the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies have browned lightly on the edges but are still soft in the middle if pressed lightly with your finger. Be careful not to overbake, as the cookies will firm up as they cool. Let the cookies cool to room temperature before serving.