Kohlrabi Pickle Chips
Try substituting kohlrabies for cucumbers when making refrigerator pickles in your favorite recipes.
Author: Adapted from The Victory Gardens Cookbook
- 1-1/2 – 2 lb small kohlrabi
- 3 small onions
- ¼ cup pickling salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 TBL mustard seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Peel and thinly slice kohlrabi and onions.
- Mix salt with 1 quart of ice water, pour over the vegetables, and soak for 3 hours. Drain, rinse, and place in a bowl.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil, cook for 3 minutes and pour over the vegetables.
- Cool, cover, and refrigerate for 3 days. Makes 1 quart.