Cherry Tomato Salad with Fresh Basil
Use fresh tomatoes for a delicious salad!
Author: Adapted from Food & Wine Ingredients
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced (about 2 ounces)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ of a thin-skinned type cucumber, thinly sliced (1/4 pound)
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped mint
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 pound assorted heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces or mixed medley of cherry tomato
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small bowl, cover the onion slices with ice water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain the onion.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic and vinegar.
- Whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bell pepper, cucumber, basil, mint, dill, and onion and toss to coat.
- Let marinate for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and toss gently; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the salad to a platter, top with the feta, and serve.