Caramelized Butternut Squash with Lavender
Tender butternut squash melts in your mouth, its caramelized outside adding rich texture. Lavender brings out deeper flavors in this cozy winter dish.
Author: Inspired by Barefoot Contessa
- 2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 pounds total)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender buds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1¼ to 1½-inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt, pepper and lavender buds.
- With clean hands, toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.