Butter Seasoned with Rosemary, Sage and Juniper
What's better than butter? Butter infused with fresh garden herbs. Classic rosemary and sage are joined by juniper berries for a refreshing twist. Spread it on a baguette, or top your mashed potatoes.
Author: Adopted by Deborah Madison, Vegetable Literacy
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 heaping teaspoon of rosemary minced
- 1 TB sage leaves slivered and chopped
- 12 juniper berries, bruised in a mortar
- Ground pepper
- Pound garlic with a few pinches of salt. Cut butter in to chunks and beat until it is soft. Add garlic, rosemary, sage, juniper and a few grinds of pepper. Work in herbs with wooden spoon until well blended. Taste for salt. Roll into a log in waxed or parchment paper and refrigerate or freeze. Serve with winter squash, roasted potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, or other rooted roasted root vegetables. you don;t have butter, no problem use olive oil instead. Infuse herbs and garlic in olive oil.